In this article, I describe how to select a wireless driveway alarm. Wireless Driveway Alarms are designed to give you and your family protection as well as enable you to remain vigilant at all times.
- These wireless driveway alarms alert you immediately when someone gets into your driveway, hence, you’re never caught unprepared.
With a wireless driveway monitor, you can easily monitor your visitors or even control pests like moles, prevent trespassing and detect any movements that might compromise your security.
Related: Best Driveway Alarms -Wired Options
So, How Do You Select a Wireless Driveway Alarm
However, choosing a wireless driveways alarm that is right for you or your property can be quite confusing.
- Hence, the article will give you detailed pointers on how to select a wireless driveway alarm.
With the current market crowded with many wireless driveway alarms, it might be difficult and challenging to choose a wireless driveway alarm that would address your security concerns.
You may ask yourself hard questions like;
How do I select or which features should I consider when purchasing a Wireless Driveway Alarm?
- Well, we’ve done comprehensive research on how to select the best driveway alarm as well as important features to look out for.
Below, we’ve discussed factors you should consider when choosing a driveway sensor.
Read Also: Crossbow for Self Defense
Selecting Best Wireless Drive Way Alarm- Things to Consider
1. Determine the Type of Sensors You Need
Type of sensors include infrared motion sensors, metal sensing probes, and rubber air hose
Infrared Motion Sensors are intended to detect the movement of vehicles, large animals, or people using their infrared signatures.
- They can be fixed on lamp posts or on trees, and their height should be close to a car engine.
Read Also: Long Range Wireless Driveway Alert System
Rubber Air Hose is designed to detect vehicle weight. They can also be fixed in those places you wish to avoid the movement of animals or people.
Metal Sensing Probes are designed to detect electromagnetic waves and vehicles’ motion.
- These sensors are recommended for those areas where the movement of animals and people is not permitted.
You can decide to bury or put them at ground level where you want to detect motion.
There are several wireless driveway alarms that can be expanded to incorporate multiple sensors and receivers.
- Some systems support one type of sensor and others that support various kinds of sensors.
For example, the numerous sensor allows you to incorporate garage door sensors, motion sensors, water leak sensors, or door/window sensors in a single system.
Before you purchase, find out whether the wireless alarm system can be added to another and how many you are required to add. Read Also: Driveway Alarms Reviewed.
2. Determine The Location Of The Sensors
Sensor Location affects the kind of sensor technology you purchase. For instance, some sensors detect heat and others detect motion.
- If you are fixing your sensor close to a tree with waving branches in a windy location, you may experience many false alarms, especially if using motion-sensing technology.
On the other hand, a passive infrared sensor (PIR) might give you fewer false alarms.
3. Decide On What You Want Your Alarm System To Detect
Do you want your wireless driveway system to detect vehicle movements only?
- Or would you rather have it see people, animals, or cars? Some sensors can even detect weight. The choice you make depends on your specific alarm needs.
The good thing with a Wireless Driveway system is that it can transmit signals of up to 1000 feet in areas with no physical barriers (like walls or mountains) and approximately 300 feet through walls.
4. Integrate With The Existing System?
Deciding to integrate the new alarm system with your home automation can be cheap since you’ll use some of the existing equipment as opposed to purchasing everything.
- The level of security will also improve because of the combined alarm system.
Read Also: Self Defense Weapon Besides Gun.
Different Operation Modes
Ensure that your wireless driveway alarm system has different operation modes.
- The additional operation modes will help you control your sensors and choose an operation mode that works for you.
It can be quite irritating to have your wireless driveway alarm beep frequently at everyone in your household, especially when you have a family activity at the driveway.
It is recommended that you lookout for a wireless alarm that has different operation modes like mute, alarm, or alert.
5. Check The Power Options
Are there alternative power options for the sensors like a battery or solar charge?
Check the type of batteries you’ll need to power both the sensors and the receivers. Can the batteries be recharged? How long do they retain their charge?
6. Wireless Transmission Range
A wireless transmission distance should be on a straight line with direct visual sight, meaning there should be no physical obstructions like hills, trees, or mountains.
- To achieve a dependable or trouble-free transmission of the alarm, it is recommended that you always choose a system that has a wireless rated distance that is twice your actual distance.
If you have concrete or metal walls or thick forest in between your driveway alarm and the alert receiver, you are advised that you select a system with more than 66% distance rating than your actual distance.
An important aspect when selecting a wireless drive sensor way is buying a system that can withstand exposure to harsh weather without loss of function or damage.
- The main reason being that these sensors are located outside and may be subjected to rain, wind, snow, or dust.
Therefore, weatherproofing is a vital feature in different climates.
Can You Detect Any Physical Interference Where You Plan To Locate Your Alarm System?
Check interference like trees, walls, hills, or any other obstruction between the position of the receiver and the transmitter that can limit the transmission distance of your sensors.
Read Also: Motherboard for i5 7600k
There are other aspects that determine the effectiveness of a wireless alarm system and things you should seriously consider before buying the wireless driveway alarm system.
- They include easiness of setting up the system, availability of customized features, and quality of the wireless driveway system.
You can also inquire if the wireless driveway alarm system can be used in other areas of your house like the backyard or the swimming pool.